Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Typefaces

*Class Post*

I found the article on Matthew Carter and his work creating typefaces very interesting. I never realized so much work went into it, especially the work to carve the letters in steel as was done in the past. I had no idea that a typical typeface requires designing 278 different characters. Even subtle differences in a letter that most would never notice can require a complete redesign of the set. A designer also has to be able to come up with a style that has never been done before. Carter has designed an amazing sixty two full families.

Certain institutions wanting their own typeface is interesting. With a type face specifically designed for your use, you can set yourself apart. The New York Times was creative in saving money by only requiring letters to spell out "The new York Times."

The part of the article I liked most was when Carter spoke about identifying forgeries by typefaces he designed. Identifying the two forgeries by a typeface being used before it was created was a method that I had never thought of. I will remember this if I ever forge a dated document.

1 comment:

Schlafly Beer said...

I am curious where you found the article, it sounds interesting.

A few years back I dabbled in graphic design. I remember thinking, how hard can it be to design a font? This after reading some articles in Print magazine on it. That and I saw the price of purchasing fonts.

Great work on the site, btw.