Sunday, January 21, 2007

Snow

If you have spent any appreciable amount of time with me, you will know that I am a weather nut. I came oh so close to majoring in meteorology at SLU instead of Urban Affairs. I find 70 degrees and sunny to be quite boring. I'll take extreme heat, cold, tornadoes, or ice storms any day. Besides St. Louis, this is most definitely my biggest passion. The near miss of the ice storm last week was quite painful to me. I can sit in front of my computer for hours uninterrupted and follow the progress of a storm. In fact, that's what I have done all tonight. I got off work at 9:00 pm after the precipitation had started, and as soon as I got home I planted myself right in front of the keyboard and started watching. And I had the bloggers on Chris Higgins Blog over at Myfoxstl.com to keep my company.

What does this have to do with a blog about the built environment of St. Louis, you ask? Well, I'm not sure if there is anything more beautiful than watching a fresh snow blanket the city. The gloom of the barren winter landscape slowly disappears as the snow accumulates inch by slow inch. The street lights provide a glow that is reflected off the fresh powder making it seem as bright as day. Auto Activity seems to come to a halt. Imperfections are slowly covered. The world seems to slow down briefly. Nature takes over what we think we have control of. And I get to take some different pictures from the normal scenes. I'll update tomorrow night with some of the pictures I took tonight and tomorrow.

No comments: